Poetry is often ignored, but it really does wonderful things for the student. It increases students vocabulary and their literacy. Poetry, especially poetry like Prelutsky's is silly and engaging. It is perfect if you have a reluctant reader. The pieces are short and manageable, full of opportunities for silliness and laughs.
In 2006, Prelutsky was named the first Children’s Poet Laureate by the Poetry Foundation. He has created silly poems but manages to slip in some very advanced vocabulary.
The books we will be using are:
A collection of poems:
- A Pizza the Size of the Sun
- Behold the bold Umberllaphant
- Its Raining Pigs and Noodles
- My parents think I am sleeping
- Monday's Troll
- Awful Ogre's Awful Day
- The Dragons are singing tonight