Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Language Art: Poetry Tickles our World: Jack Prelutsky

I have decided that we will do a poetry unit. Poetry is a literary form in which language is concentrated in order to provoke an emotional response. Poetry is able to explore the meaning of words and turns of phrase in ways that prose cannot.

Poetry is often ignored, but it really does wonderful things for the student. It increases students vocabulary and their literacy. Poetry, especially poetry like Prelutsky's is silly and engaging. It is perfect if you have a reluctant reader. The pieces are short and manageable, full of opportunities for silliness and laughs.

In 2006, Prelutsky was named the first Children’s Poet Laureate by the Poetry Foundation. He has created silly poems but manages to slip in some very advanced vocabulary.

The books we will be using are:

A collection of poems:
  • A Pizza the Size of the Sun
And stand alone books:
  • Behold the bold Umberllaphant
  • Its Raining Pigs and Noodles
  • My parents think I am sleeping
  • Monday's Troll
  • Awful Ogre's Awful Day
  • The Dragons are singing tonight

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh this sounds muy muy interesting! Back in school I didn't get into writing at all. Probably because the teachers didn't act like they cared about it you know? Ok I was lazy about it too. But if anybody can make something fun for her kids to create and learn, its you! Wish I could come by for some classes too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I LOVE comments, I love the feedback. Usually I will answer right back here on the comments page!